Thursday, January 26, 2012

My nomination timeline thus far

As a current Peace Corps nominee I read the Peace Corps blogs daily.  Looking to see what the timelines have been for other nominees.  The following is my own experience so far, which I hope will be helpful to others who are waiting.

06/03/2011    Submitted Peace Corps Application

06/15/2011    Sent in Peace Corps further information packet

06/28/2011    Peace Corps Interview with recruiter

09/15/2011    Nominated for Health Extension slot departing July 2012

10/21/2011    Mailed in Medical packet

11/25/2011    Dental Cleared

11/28/2011     Medical Cleared

So now I wait, and wait,  but wait I received information on 1/13/2012 that I should hear from the placement office within three to five weeks.  They are currently working on those nominees that are departing this spring.  I am grateful for the tidbit of information to help me practice our Peace Corps virtue of patience.  It is both exciting and hard at the same time, a new chapter in my life is waiting to be written.  I am looking forward to the challenge, the learning, and being able to contribute in a community.  To make a difference at a more basic level.

Thanks for reading thus far, I will keep you all posted as to my progress.

4 comments:

  1. My timeline closely mirrors yours. I was also nominated for health extension with july 2012 departure. Which geographic region were you nominated to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been nominated for Asia. Looking on Peace Corps Wiki that might mean Mongolia, leaving June 2, or Cambodia leaving July 22. As you know though it could be anywhere. I'm good with wherever they want me to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to finally identify someone with the exact same nomination as me! Although you are completely correct in saying it could be anywhere, my money is on Cambodia. My understanding is that they are looking to add 80 volunteers over 2011's intake (biggest 2012 increase for any PC program), and after the introduction of health volunteers in 2010, the Cambodian government is looking to add more. I think it would be an exciting time to go there, given the potential for paving new ground as a volunteer in a given community. Anyway, I'll be curious to see how the rest of your timeline develops. It is all in their hands now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to hear, and thanks for the new information about the expansion of the program, that is great news. I agree with you that there is a lot of work to do in Cambodia, and my feeling is that we will get it too. I am glad you found my post. I have made my e-mail address visible if you would like to write to me. Look forward to meeting you at staging.

    ReplyDelete